Thursday, February 17, 2011

Eddie Bauer Friday Harbor Jacket Total Review

In the world of outdoor sports there exists a continuing trend to be lighter, thinner and brighter when it comes to gear. What we are offered is an array of tissue paper thin shells that feel as though they will disintegrate when moisture approaches. (though this is how they feel, I can attest that they are very durable and suitable for wear and tear of the outdoors.)

However, some of us want a jacket that has all of the capabilities to defy the elements and feels also feels like it can do so.
This thing scoffs at snow.


I give you the Friday Harbor by Eddie Bauer.
The Friday Harbor performs well in whatever the Great Lakes region had thrown its way. Ice hiking on Lake Michigan, Feb '11


I picked this jacket up late last spring because I was in the market for a new rain jacket. Since I am not very much for the ultralight stuff this looked like my kind of jacket.

It comes in modest colors and has a comfortable, fitted, cut. The Friday Harbor is sized a little large and makes layering easy. The weather edge technology keeps you dry and shielded from the winds too.

This jacket has gone everywhere with me and I have used it in many conditions including a rainy trip to Maine in late fall, Mid-Summer torrential downpours, Dead of winter ice hikes on Lake Michigan, and even the occasional trip to school.
Friday Harbor, keeping the mist off me at Niagra Falls, Oct '10


It truly is a versatile jacket. The vent system makes it comfortable to wear as a wind breaker in warmer weather. It is also semi packable. I throw mine in my day-bag nearly every time  I head outside.

Another major plus about this jacket is the pocket situation. There are 4 exterior pockets and one interior and they are all easily accessed with a pack on.

The hood is removable, however I have not found it to be obtrusive and have left mine on continuously.

If you are looking for a good all season jacket look no further. This thing was designed for use in temperate regions where the weather changes in an instant and I can tell you from experience that it has not failed me yet!
Taking on water during one of the early summer tornadoes, SE MI June '10


Head over to their website and check them out now:

http://www.eddiebauer.com/home.jsp

You will not be let down!

-J

1 comment:

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

I'm not a big fan of ultra-lite either. Very interesting. A good review.